I stole this list from my friend Holly, but it seems like succinct and easy way to reflect on last year and roll into the new one. I’m not one for resolutions as concrete as pounds to lose or miles to run, but I am all for the idea of constantly bettering myself. What’s the point if life if not to at least put in some effort? 2008 was a wonderful year for us, with ups and downs as can be expected in any period of 365 days. The picture above is me, walking out of 2008 and into 2009 with a stolen balloon arrangement. There’s no other way really.
1. What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before? Crow pose!
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year? I can never remember if I made any the year before. This conveniently dissolves me of any guilt of breaking them. This year I’m giving up any products containing leather.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth? Yes! Bernadette and Shannon!
4. Did anyone close to you die? The Fabulous Peggy Brown.
5. What countries did you visit? Germany, Czech Republic, Canada.
6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008? A winning lottery ticket, thinner thighs, more time with my family.
7. What dates from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? August 5th, our first trip to Mount Rushmore, our second anniversary and the day Grandma Brown passed away.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? Getting a real job, then quitting it for real reasons.
9. What was your biggest failure? Missing my friend Kristy’s wedding.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury? No.
11. What was the best thing you bought? Stacking dolls and Lululemon pants.
12. Where did most of your money go? Travel, easily.
13. What did you get really, really, really excited about? My cousin’s wedding in Denver, moving back to Bako, Christmas with my family.
14. What song will always remind you of 2008? Johanna, Du Geile Sau
15. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? happier
b) thinner or fatter? same
c) richer or poorer? same
16. What do you wish you’d done more of? Yoga and travel.
17. What do you wish you’d done less of? Worrying, watching Ghost Whisperer.
18. How did you spend Christmas? Eating lasagna and being lazy with my family. Bliss!
19. Did you fall in love in 2008? I fell in love in 2001!
20. What was your favorite TV program? Life, 30 Rock, The Office, Girlfriends, I Shouldn’t Be Alive, Daily Show.
21. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year? Sarah Palin? But I might be getting over it…
22. What was the best book you read? Middlesex, War Day, For the Love of Dog.
23. What did you want and get? A second dog!
24. What did you want and not get? A job I love.
25. What was your favorite film of this year? I’m pretty sure it wasn’t a new release, but I saw ‘Darjeeling Limited’ for the first time in 2008 and I loved it enough to buy it for myself.
26. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? I turned 27 on June 15, and I had a BBQ at my parents house, complete with Dirt Cake and Sissy.
27. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? If I was better able to support our family financially.
28. What kept you sane? David, dogs and dark chocolate.
29. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? O, Bam, AAAAAAAAAAAAA! Obama!
30. What political issue stirred you the most? Proposition 8 in California. The fight goes on!
31. Who did you miss? Sissy, M, D, Jess…too many to list.
32. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008. To try and live the way my dogs do…finding pure, insane amounts of joy in food, sleep and affection, and only to worry about my loved ones leaving me and things going bump in the night.
33. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year. ‘You think you have to want more than you need, until you have it all you won’t be free…Society, you’re a crazy breed.’ -Eddie Vedder.